Thursday, November 5, 2009

Reminiscing: Bananas in the Modern Manner

I have been promising more reminiscing for a while now and I'm finally able to deliver. This installment comes to you courtesy of Mother of Ken, who found this gem in her travels.

Nothing like a good banana, I always say. Also nothing like some bad photographs...

I'm not sure that I would want to eat something called "Banana au Naturel" bright and early nor would I want to go to the trouble to carefully arrange the peel--just eat it!

Also, what do the people on horseback have to do with anything? Is this just to show that people can eat these breakfast menus and not spend the morning puking?

I have several problems with the following. First of all, what is with the polka-dotted bread? I guess that is the "Raisin Bread Sandwich"? If so, gross--that thing consists of generously buttered raisin bread topped with banana slices, lettuce, and mayonnaise!


This does not look appetizing at all. Who would put banana on top of steak? Who would wrap bacon around bananas? I cannot imagine the texture of steak or bacon with cooked banana...


Anything with the word "delight" in the recipe title makes me suspicious. I am also kind of grossed out by the "Banana Cereal Dessert (for children)." Apparently no adult is willing to eat that gruel.



The illustration is for a "Banana Rice Ring." I can't even talk about this. However, I am pleased to be able to offer you yet another recipe for something "devilled." This one includes banana, chutney, pimentos, and lemon juice served on toast.


I'm always up for new salad recipes, especially when they include such delicious accoutrements as cream cheese, peppers, mayonnaise, candied cherries...

I always love it when cookbooks include lengthy discussions of "digestibility."



I certainly hope that you will try to incorporate some of these delicious and digestible banana recipes in your daily menus.



3 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

I've never been a fan of bananas, although I've tried very hard since I've read all those enlightening emails about all the wonderful, healing powers of bananas.

And this post just did me in as far as bananas are concerned.

I want to like them, but I just don't and can't.

Rosie Hawthorne said...

And this just reminded me of Youngest Hawthorne's favorite sandwich he made up - whole wheat bread with peanut butter, bananas, and Ritz crackers.

Leah said...

Why would they do that to bacon? Why, God, why? What did the bacon do to deserve that?
(This from the girl who made bacon cupcakes.)