Sunday, November 8, 2009

Reminiscing: Cooking the Modern Way

All the way from 1948, I bring you the next installment of "Reminiscing" -- Cooking the Modern Way from Planters Edible Oil Company.
Nothing says delicious like this "Perfection Salad:"

I don't want to admit how much time I spent trying to figure out what this even was. I think it is the "Minted Pear Salad" that you see on the opposite page, but I'm still not 100% certain. No matter what it is called, it looks awful in more ways than one.


I can't figure the next two out at all--I have no idea what either of these is supposed to be, but it doesn't matter because I would never make them anyway and they are both making me want to puke so I am moving along to the next one.


I think that the black and white picture on the left is the "Vegetable Omelet," but I have no idea what the picture on the right goes with. What IS that rectangular shaped stuff at the top of the plate?





It only gets worse--I feel like the further I read in this book, the fewer items I am able to recognize and the more disgusting the food looks and sounds.


Now this is what I'm talkin' 'bout. I loves me a waffle topped with sausages cooked in Planters Peanut Oil in a decorative pattern. I sure hope Mother of Ken makes this for me when I'm home in December.


Is it just me, or does that pasta look suspiciously like brains?


I'll give you a moment to chug some Pepto Bismol before you come back for another dose of disgustingness.

2 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

I love how they advertise on each page, "No peanut taste and no peanut odor," then they go and put peanuts in the cabbage salad.

Leah said...

The fact that all of this is peanutty makes me happy, because there's no way I'd eat it because it would kill me. I mean, from the allergicness, not from the fact that it's nasty. Kind of like when Rachel made the English trifle/shepherd's pie, and everyone had to eat it and pretend they liked it, and Phoebe got out of having to do so because it had meat in it and she's a vegetarian. "Oh, that phallically topped waffle looks so good! What a shame I can't eat it because I'd go into anaphylactic shock. Darn the luck!"