Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Reminiscing: 250 Ways to Prepare Poultry and Game Birds

I've heard from a lot of people that they have freezers full of meat right now. Well, I have the answer for those of you who have some capon, goose, or pigeon tucked away--250 Ways to Prepare Poultry and Game Birds:


Right off the bat, this cookbook includes some disturbing photography:



The first half of this cookbook isn't bad--broiled chicken, roasted turkey, glazed duck, etc. Then, they throw this color photograph into the middle and my stomach begins to churn. I find the dish on the left particularly unappetizing. I know that I'm kind of a weirdo because I dislike eggs (unless they are in baked goods), but I just don't understand the appeal of the hard boiled egg. What is so good about the tastelessness and odd texture of the white and the odd texture of the cooked yolk? The only flavor in the whole thing is the paprika that you sprinkle on top. Anyway, even if you like eggs, this is some nasty looking chicken salad:


Craving some more chicken salad after that one? Well, here you go:


There is an added bonus on the page above--another recipe for a "molded" ring. This time, it is made of egg...

Nothing like some chicken almond mousse or some "sandwich loaf," which sounds positively revolting. Seriously--eggs, bacon, olives, salad dressing, pimento cheese, and cream cheese? That thing not only sounds awful, it also looks awful:


For those of you who enjoy the lusciousness of poultry livers:


The picture on the top left--see that one? The caption reads "chilled peeled tomatoes filled with goose livers in jelly and served with tiny sandwiches are for the hostess who seeks new ideas." I'm sure that I don't want to go to her house for dinner.


For Leah, "Goose Liver Balls:"


There is a lot of information in this book about trussing and the like. I'm cool with that, considering the subject of this cookbook. I do, however, have a real problem with the photo of the turkey roll. It looks like plastic surgery being performed by Tor, the holistic healer on Seinfeld.


Another mousse--this time, a magnificent marriage of turkey and ham with gelatin, milk, egg, and mayonnaise, among other things:


Since it is winter, I've got a whole cookbook of soups coming your way soon!

No comments: