Sunday, January 24, 2010

This Time I Know It's For Real

About a year ago, I made Ebleskiver for the first time with the pan that my Grambi gave me. When I was home at Christmas, she gave me the recipe that came with the pan (you may remember that the recipe I used before was fairly untraditional). So, I was excited to make traditional Danish Ebleskiver this weekend using my new recipe.

Here's the recipe:

4 eggs, separated
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 c. cake flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 c. melted shortening or butter
Scant 2 c. milk

Beat egg yolks; add sugar. Add dry ingredients alternately with shortening/butter and milk. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Place a small amount of butter in each cup of the Ebleskiver pan and fill it 2/3 full with batter. Cook over medium heat until bubbly, turn carefully with a fork and finish baking on the other side. Turn each Ebleskiver several times during baking to ensure thorough baking. If desired, a very thin slice of raw apple can be pressed into batter in each cup before turning. Serve with butter and syrup, jam, brown sugar, or sprinkle lightly with confectioners' sugar.

I only made half of the recipe and ended up with over 20 Ebleskiver, but wow were they good. Very light with a thin, crisp shell:


I ate mine with fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar (and bacon, of course):


Next time, I might put some apple in, but these were delicious without it.

1 comment:

Leah said...

I want to go to there.