Monday, August 23, 2010

Boulevard

Well, gentle readers, it has been a while since I last posted and a lot has happened.  I packed up seven bags of library books to return to school:


Kenna, Father of Ken, and I drove from NY to Kansas in a car loaded with clothing and other stuff--poor Kenna didn't have much space:


On the road, we saw this trailer--notice anything strange?



Traveling got old after a while:


We made it to Kansas safely and then Kenna and I continued on our way to Oklahoma.  Last week, I started my new job and my house/dog sitting gig and worked on getting things together for my classes.  Then, Mother and Father of Ken came down on Friday night and we did some serious house hunting Friday night and most of Saturday.  I'm now in the process of buying this house:



There is some work that needs to be done, but for the most part, the house is move in ready and the things that need to be done are all fairly simple.  The house was built in the mid-1960s and it reminds me of the house that Grambi used to live in.  It's on a corner lot in a quiet neighborhood and it has a nice size yard, two car garage, and a cute patio in the back.

This is the room off of the kitchen that I'm going to use as my study (all of the rooms are going to get fresh paint):


This is the kitchen, which has some cool 1960s features that I'll show you later.  The cabinets will get new hardware, I'm going to pull the linoleum up and do something else to finish the floor, and eventually I'll probably replace the counters and backsplash.  I'd love to get a new refrigerator, but that's probably pretty far down the road.


There are two full baths--this is the smaller one and it's going to need some serious work.  I really hate the sink and light fixture and the toilet seat is one of those padded ones in dark green.  


This is the bedroom attached to the small bathroom:


The master bedroom (there's a third, smaller bedroom):


The larger bathroom--yes, that is wallpaper border over tile.  That will be coming off as soon as possible.


And now, for the coolest part--the 1960s stove/oven:


You should see the shape this thing is in--I can't wait to use it.  It is a double oven combination with a pull out stove and a cabinet below:




This is in pristine condition and extremely cool.  You push the range back in when you're not using it and I am SO EXCITED to have a double oven.  

So, I'm hoping to close when my stuff arrives from NY or maybe even a little sooner, but it will be a fun house to work on and it has plenty of room for guests, so start making reservations today ;-)  It will be totally different from my house in NY, but I'm looking forward to getting in there and settling in.

I'll be back as soon as I can with updates, etc.  See you soon!



2 comments:

Leah said...

Keep that pink and green bathroom the way it is until I see it! Except not the toilet seat cover. That can go. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I saw one of those ranges at a garage sale over the weekend. It didn't have the double oven, tho. It was a microwave/oven! Also my friend had a range exactly like the one pictured. Yours is in beautiful shape and I'm so glad you are going to keep it. The house looks great.